Background and History:
Chinese Spareribs are a delectable dish with roots in Chinese culinary traditions. This savory treat features tender pork spareribs, marinated and cooked to perfection. In Chinese cuisine, the use of marinades and flavors like soy sauce, ginger, and garlic creates a harmonious blend of sweet and savory, making it a favorite among both Chinese food enthusiasts and those seeking a flavorful dish with a global touch.
- 1 pound pork spareribs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions for garnish
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, honey, rice wine or sherry, and five-spice powder.
- Cut the spareribs into individual pieces, making sure each piece has some meat and bone.
- Place the spareribs in a zip-top bag or a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them. Seal the bag or cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Arrange the marinated spareribs on the wire rack, allowing any excess marinade to drip onto the foil.
- Season the spareribs with salt and black pepper.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, turning the ribs once halfway through, until they are cooked through and slightly caramelized.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve hot.
Nutrition Facts: (Per serving)
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Sodium: 750mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 15g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Sugars: 11g
- Protein: 21g
- To enhance the flavor, marinate the spareribs for a longer time. Overnight marinating will infuse the ribs with even more taste.
- Be cautious of any soy or alcohol allergies among your diners. Adapt the recipe as needed to accommodate any dietary restrictions or allergies.