Background and History:
Broiled scallops are a culinary delight that highlights the natural sweetness and delicate texture of these shellfish. While the exact origin is unclear, scallops have been enjoyed as a seafood delicacy for centuries. The broiling technique enhances their flavor by giving them a slight char and a smoky finish.
- 1 pound of fresh scallops
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Time: 15 minutes (prep), 10 minutes (cooking)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Start by preheating your broiler or grill on high heat.
- Rinse the scallops under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. This step is essential for a good sear.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted butter, minced garlic, lemon juice, and chopped parsley. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Thread the scallops onto skewers. If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before using to prevent burning.
- Brush the scallops with the garlic butter mixture, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Place the skewers on the preheated grill or broiler. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until the scallops turn opaque and develop a beautiful sear.
- Serve your broiled scallops hot with additional lemon wedges and fresh parsley for garnish.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 170
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 0g
- Scallops cook quickly, so keep a close eye on them to avoid overcooking, as they can become tough.
- You can add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the garlic butter mixture for a hint of spice.
- Some individuals may have shellfish allergies, so be cautious when serving scallops to guests.
- If you have allergies to any of the ingredients, please check for potential cross-contamination or substitute as needed.
Enjoy your homemade Broiled Scallops, a delectable seafood dish that’s perfect for special occasions or a delightful weeknight dinner!