Background and History
The Cheeseburger Wellington is a delightful twist on the classic Beef Wellington, with its origins rooted in modern culinary creativity. This dish takes the beloved flavors of a cheeseburger – juicy beef, melted cheese, and fresh veggies – and wraps them in a flaky pastry for a mouthwatering experience.
- 1 pound (450g) ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 dill pickle, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Sesame seeds (optional, for topping)
Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- In a skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until browned. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until they’re soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Roll out the puff pastry sheets and cut each into four squares.
- Place a spoonful of the beef mixture in the center of each pastry square. Top with cheddar cheese and a few pickle slices.
- Brush the edges of the pastry squares with the beaten egg and fold them over to form triangles. Press the edges to seal.
- Place the pastry triangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with more beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed.
Nutrition Facts (Per Serving)
- Calories: 550
- Protein: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fat: 36g
- Fiber: 2g
- You can customize your Cheeseburger Wellington with additional toppings like bacon, sautéed mushrooms, or different types of cheese.
- Don’t overfill the pastry squares, as it can make them difficult to seal.
- This dish contains wheat (puff pastry) and dairy (cheese). Be cautious if you have allergies to these ingredients.