Background and History:
Dry-rub chicken wings, often regarded as a timeless American classic, have a rich history rooted in the deep south of the United States. Traditionally, these wings were seasoned with a combination of dry spices and cooked over an open flame. Today, with the advent of air fryers, we can achieve that same delicious flavor without the need for deep frying. Let’s dive into making some mouthwatering dry-rub air-fried chicken wings!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 2 lbs (900g) chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust for heat preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°F (190°C) for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together all the dry rub ingredients: paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels and place them in the same bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken wings and toss them to ensure even coating.
- Sprinkle the dry rub mixture over the chicken wings and toss them again, making sure they are well coated.
- Place the chicken wings in the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer, without overcrowding.
- Cook the wings at 380°F (190°C) for 12-15 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they are golden and crispy.
- Check the internal temperature to ensure they have reached 165°F (74°C) and are fully cooked.
- Serve the dry-rub air-fried chicken wings hot and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: (Per serving)
- Calories: 280
- Protein: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Fat: 21g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sugars: 0.1g
- You can adjust the level of spiciness by increasing or decreasing the amount of cayenne pepper in the dry rub.
- For extra crispy wings, you can lightly spray the wings with cooking spray before air frying.
- Feel free to customize the dry rub with your favorite herbs and spices.
Please be cautious of chicken allergies and any potential allergens in the spices used for the dry rub. Always check for individual dietary restrictions and allergies before serving.