Background and History:
Pot roast is a classic comfort food dish that has been a staple of home cooking for generations. It traditionally features a tough cut of meat slow-cooked with vegetables and flavorful seasonings until it becomes tender and delicious. The “Easiest Pot Roast Ever” is a simplified version of this beloved dish, designed for busy cooks who want a hearty, home-cooked meal with minimal effort.
Serves: 4-6 people
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 4-8 hours (slow cooker)
- 3-4 pounds of beef chuck roast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4-6 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 packet of dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the roast on all sides for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the roast to your slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until they become fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Add the sautéed onion and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the dry onion soup mix and dried thyme (if using) over the roast.
- Place the chopped carrots and potatoes around the roast in the slow cooker.
- Pour the beef broth over everything in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the meat is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Serve the pot roast with the flavorful juices and vegetables.
- Calories: Varies depending on serving size
- Protein: Around 25-30g per 3-ounce serving
- Carbohydrates: Varies depending on the amount of vegetables
- Fat: Varies depending on serving size
- You can customize this dish by adding your favorite vegetables like celery or green beans.
- Some variations include adding red wine or tomato sauce for additional flavor.
- Adjust the cooking time based on the size of your roast and the desired level of tenderness.
- Be cautious of allergies to any specific ingredients used in this recipe.
The “Easiest Pot Roast Ever” simplifies the classic pot roast recipe, allowing you to enjoy the delicious, slow-cooked flavors of a traditional pot roast with minimal hassle. It’s the perfect meal for busy days or when you want a hearty, home-cooked dinner with little effort.