Background and History:
Filet mignon, often considered the king of steaks, is a tender and luxurious cut of beef. Paired with a rich balsamic glaze, this dish elevates the flavors of the meat to create a restaurant-quality experience right at home. The history of filet mignon dates back to the early 19th century, where it was popularized as a choice cut for the wealthy due to its remarkable tenderness and fine texture.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 filet mignon steaks (6-8 oz each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Season the filet mignon steaks generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the steaks and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they develop a nice crust.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and roast for about 5-7 minutes for medium-rare, or longer for your desired level of doneness.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer the steaks to a plate to rest.
- In the same skillet, add balsamic vinegar, red wine, brown sugar, beef broth, and minced garlic. Bring it to a simmer, stirring to combine all the flavors. Let it reduce by half, which will take about 5 minutes.
- Once the glaze has thickened, remove the skillet from heat and swirl in the butter until the sauce is glossy and smooth.
- Pour the balsamic glaze over the filet mignon steaks, serving any extra on the side.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Note: Nutritional values are approximate and may vary based on the specific ingredients used.
- Calories: 420
- Protein: 40g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fat: 23g
- Fiber: 0g
- For best results, allow the steaks to come to room temperature before cooking.
- Customize the doneness of your steaks by adjusting the oven-roasting time.
- The balsamic glaze can be sweetened or thickened to your liking.
- Serve this dish with your choice of sides, such as mashed potatoes or steamed vegetables.
- This recipe contains beef and uses butter, which may not be suitable for individuals with dairy allergies. Please ensure that all ingredients are safe for your dietary needs.