Greek Lemon Chicken and Potato Bake is a mouthwatering, Mediterranean-inspired dish that brings together the flavors of tender chicken, zesty lemons, and hearty potatoes. This traditional recipe has deep historical roots, making it a favorite among families who enjoy wholesome and flavorful meals.
Time: 15 minutes (preparation), 1 hour (cooking)
Cooking Time: 1 hour Ingredients:
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- Fresh oregano leaves for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and place a large sheet pan in the oven as it heats.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper. Mix well to create the marinade.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels. Once the sheet pan is hot, carefully remove it from the oven and place the chicken thighs and drumsticks skin-side down.
- Place the potato wedges around the chicken pieces on the sheet pan. Drizzle the marinade over the chicken and potatoes, ensuring an even coating.
- Lay lemon slices over the chicken. This will infuse a delightful lemony flavor.
- Return the sheet pan to the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, flip the chicken pieces over and continue roasting for another 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
- If desired, garnish with fresh oregano leaves for a burst of flavor and color.
- Serve your Greek Lemon Chicken and Potato Bake hot, and enjoy the Mediterranean goodness!
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
- Calories: 620
- Total Fat: 31g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 188mg
- Sodium: 236mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 40g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 43g
- You can customize this dish by adding your favorite Mediterranean vegetables like red bell peppers or red onions.
- For a crispier skin on the chicken, you can broil it for a few minutes at the end of the cooking time.
- This dish is perfect for family gatherings and can be easily doubled to serve a larger crowd.
Be aware of potential allergens in the ingredients, especially if anyone at the table has known allergies. In particular, check for nut allergies in the fresh oregano garnish.