Background and History:
Plum Cobbler is a sweet and comforting dessert with a rich history in American cuisine. This dish features ripe plums nestled under a warm, biscuit-like topping, offering a delightful contrast of textures and flavors. Cobbler recipes have been passed down through generations, with variations using a wide range of fruits, including plums.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 minutes
- 4 ripe plums, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (for the topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sliced plums with 2 tablespoons of sugar and ground cinnamon. Toss to coat the plums evenly and set them aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- Add the cold, diced butter to the dry mixture and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture comes together as a dough.
- Divide the sugared plums between two oven-safe ramekins or small baking dishes.
- Spoon the biscuit dough on top of the plums, dividing it evenly between the two dishes.
- Place the ramekins in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cobbler topping is golden brown and the plums are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve your Plum Cobbler warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts: (Per serving, without ice cream or whipped cream)
- Calories: 350
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Fat: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 36g
- You can use other fruits like peaches or cherries for a twist on this classic dessert.
- Adjust the sugar quantity to your desired level of sweetness.
- Plum Cobbler is best enjoyed warm from the oven.
Please be cautious of any allergies to specific ingredients, especially dairy or fruit. Always check for individual dietary restrictions and allergies before serving.