Background and History:
Slow Cooker Beef Massaman Curry is a Thai culinary treasure that beautifully blends the flavors of Thailand and India. The dish originated from the southern regions of Thailand and showcases the rich, aromatic spices and influences of Indian and Malay cuisines. Massaman curry is known for its creamy texture and mild heat, making it a favorite for those who appreciate a balance of exotic flavors.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 4-6 hours (slow cooker)
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons Massaman curry paste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup roasted unsalted peanuts (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Steamed jasmine rice or rice noodles for serving
- In a slow cooker, combine the cubed beef, coconut milk, Massaman curry paste, chopped onion, and potatoes.
- Add the fish sauce, tamarind paste, and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the beef is tender and the potatoes are cooked through.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add the kaffir lime leaves (if using).
- Serve the Massaman curry over steamed jasmine rice or rice noodles.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts and fresh cilantro.
- Calories: Approximately 400-500 per serving
- Protein: Around 30g
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 30g
- Fat: About 20g
- Massaman curry paste can vary in heat, so adjust the quantity to your taste.
- You can find Massaman curry paste in most grocery stores or at Asian markets.
- Customize with vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, or bamboo shoots.
- Be cautious of potential allergens in the ingredients used, and consider specific dietary requirements.
Indulge in the exotic flavors of Slow Cooker Beef Massaman Curry, a dish that harmoniously combines Thai and Indian influences. With tender beef, creamy coconut, and aromatic spices, this curry offers a delicious journey through the world of culinary fusion. Perfect for slow-cooking enthusiasts, it’s sure to become a family favorite.