Background and History:
The Tuna Egg Sandwich is a versatile and satisfying classic that has made its way into countless homes and cafes. Although its exact origin is unclear, this delightful sandwich combines two protein-rich ingredients: tuna and eggs. Their union in a sandwich provides a hearty and flavorful meal option, perfect for a quick lunch or snack.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 can (5 oz) tuna in water, drained
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices of bread
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the drained tuna, chopped hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, finely chopped celery, and red onion.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly to create a uniform filling.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remember, tuna can be naturally salty, so be cautious with the salt.
- Place lettuce leaves and tomato slices on two slices of bread (if desired).
- Spread the tuna and egg mixture evenly over the lettuce and tomato slices.
- Top each with a second slice of bread to complete the sandwiches.
- Gently press the sandwiches together.
- Slice them in half and serve your Tuna Egg Sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts: (Per serving, without lettuce and tomato)
- Calories: 300
- Protein: 20g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fat: 15g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 3g
- You can customize the sandwich with additional ingredients like pickles, olives, or herbs.
- Use whole-grain or gluten-free bread for a healthier or gluten-free version.
- Serve with a side salad or potato chips for a complete meal.
Please be cautious of allergies to eggs and any other specific ingredients used. Always check for individual dietary restrictions and allergies before serving.