Background and History:
The Chicken, Asparagus, and Mushroom Skillet is a mouthwatering dish that combines tender chicken, fresh asparagus, and flavorful mushrooms. While there’s no specific historical origin associated with this recipe, it’s a modern favorite known for its simplicity and delightful taste. This one-pan wonder allows you to create a satisfying meal with a handful of ingredients, making it a perfect weeknight dinner option.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces of white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the seasoned chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they’re no longer pink in the center. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes until they become fragrant.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until they release their moisture and start to brown.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add asparagus.
- Pour in chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir well.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, and asparagus is tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- Calories: Approximately 350 per serving
- Protein: About 30 grams per serving
- Fat: Around 18 grams per serving
- Carbohydrates: Roughly 15 grams per serving
- Feel free to customize this dish by adding other vegetables like bell peppers or spinach.
- You can use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat.
- Serve the skillet meal over cooked rice or pasta for a heartier dish.
- Be cautious if you have dairy allergies, as this recipe contains heavy cream. You can substitute with a dairy-free alternative if needed.